Saturday, April 24, 2010

stuff that has been keeping us busy lately

For many many years Dalton's Grandma Beverly has kept many different kinds of bird feeders in her backyard and attracted many many different kinds of birds.  Last year we started feeding our birds...once we got some trees!  We live in a neighborhood that is only about 6 years old so there are very few trees...but as most of you know last year we decided to finally get some for our enormous backyard...stay tuned for phase two of our backyard renovation!  Anyhow...we just bought the cheap stuff last year and didn't get very many cool birds...this year I upgraded and am mixing the good stuff with the cheap stuff and we seem to be getting a better variety of birds at the feeders!  Dalton loves to help fill the feeders and of course scare the birds away when they are out there when he is outside!  He also wants all the bugs to go away...I have been trying to explain to him that the outside is their home and that they aren't going anywhere and better to have them outside than inside! 

Dalton's john deere tractor trailer came in handy to haul the bird seed to the backyard...he was very happy to help out and mommy was happy not to have to carry the kind of heavy bags of bird seed!

I think I mentioned we had been getting lots of new birds but did I mention that we found a squirrel one morning?!?!!?  Totally caught me off guard...I have NEVER SEEN one in our neighborhood!   We have lots of rabbits but never have I seen a squirrel...Dalton thought that was pretty funny!  I told you we put out the good stuff this year...apparently word travels fast in the animal kingdom!

The big escape...we haven't seen him since:(

Just hanging out on the pergola!

We have also been feeding the ducks...luckily they just eat stale bread!  We have a pond not to far from our house and Dalton and mommy used to make a trip there at least once a week to feed the ducks and geese...not anymore!  They come to our culdesac...last spring one of our neighbors fed them really well...they wouldn't even look at us!  Well those folks don't live there anymore but those same ducks came back this spring looking for them...now the rest of us get to feed them!  These are the same ducks that we found floating/swimming in our front flower bed after lots and lots of rain a couple of weeks ago!  This mommy was sad I didn't have my camera handy that day...Dalton said "mommy there not supposed to be in there!"  He knows that he is not supposed to be in there so I guess he just assumed that they weren't either!  Mommy just wished that we didn't have that much standing water.
They come right up to us...one of our neighbors said they came pecking on her front door! 

And of course the scooter...one of the older neighbor boys has a gas powered scooter and he also does lots of tricks (that is what Dalton calls them) on his skateboard and Dalton has become quite the fan/stalker!  So when we went to Target to spend some of his birthday money...thank you Salisbury Family and Great Grandma Dorothy he saw this red scooter and had to have it!  He kept telling me that it was going to be REALLY REALLY loud!  He just knew it would be just like our neighbors...luckily he wasn't disappointed when it wasn't!  He still likes to make the sounds though and he is getting much better on it and not too many wrecks yet!

Scooting along with a silly grin on his face!

Come rain or shine the mowing must go on...or at least the pretending to mow must go on!  It rained off and on for most of the afternoon today and as long as there isn't lightning or thunder and Dalton wants to stay out we do...or he does.  Mommy was in the garage watching...I don't have a cool buzz lightyear rain jacket to keep me dry like Dalton does! 
At first it was just sprinkles and then...
the downpour came and he was ready to go in and take a break!  Look at that face...funny!
I think he got a little bit more wet than he anticipated...

GoOd TiMeS!

1 comment:

  1. I'm in awe that you have any energy left after your marathon zoo trip! Just yesterday Carter was talking about Elijah's skateboarding :) Can't wait to come see you guys. Maybe we'll try for an afternoon close to school getting out, so Carter can see the other kiddos too.
    Oh, I really don't want to burst your bird feeding frenzy--but fair warning: we fed the birds, the bird seed attracted insane numbers of rats (they kept house in our vinca and the brick wall), the rats attracted a monster sized rat snake...ah, the animal kingdom on CCD :)

    ReplyDelete